Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kueh Lapis

I didn't expect myself to bake this for CNY cos of the high number of egg yolks required plus the tedious steps required to bake this kueh. But after attending the class at the CC, I'm definitely more confident in trying out. I think I spent a total of 3-4 hrs to prepare and bake this. The overall result is - Happy!!!

Kueh Lapis

Ingredients (A)

500gm Semi hard butter

300gm condensed milk

3tsp Rum flavour (I used Rum liquor)

150gm plain flour

1tsp Gingerbread spice (I used cinnamon)

20 egg yolks

200gm sugar (I used 190gm)

2tsp SP (I omit this)

Ingredients (B)

10 egg whites

50gm sugar (I used 40gm)

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method

Preheat oven to 200c. Placed a 9 inches square tin before greasing and lining paper (paper lining only applicable to the bottom of tin) and warm up the tin.

1) Cream butter, condensed milk and rum flavour at medium speed for abt 5 mins until creamy. Add in the flour and ginger spice. Mix well and set aside.

2) Whisk egg yolks, sugar and SP at max speed until thick and add in (1) * Fold 1/3 of egg yolk batters into (1). Ensure they are well cooperate with (1) before adding another 1/3.

3) Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar at max speed until stiff

4) Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into (2) and continue the process of folding the rest of whites.

5) Remove hot tin from oven and lay paper at the bottom of tin. Spread a small amt of batter into tin

6) If you are using a 9 inches tin then pour 100gm of batter at every layer. But if you are using 10 inches square tin the batter should be 130gm. You will need to weigh the batter to ensure every layer is even. (This is the tedious one)

7) Used top and bottom heat for first layer and placed the tin at middle rack. Baked the first layer for about 5-7 mins till golden brown

8) Adjust the temp to 240c and used only top heat to bake the subsequent layers. Each layer took about 2.5-4mins to bake.

Note:

* For ovens that do not allow the setting of top heat only, place a baking tray filled with water and placed at the bottom of the oven.

* Lapis stored at room temperature can last for abt 4-5 days. If chiller, it can be stored for a month

* My instructor did told me that oven with fan is not suitable to bake this Lapis. But I managed to do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is so heatin' busy! Your creations are so delightful, they make my stomach growl. Have a Yummy New Year!

:)

Anonymous said...

hey, which CC did you go to? such cool recipes!